To protect the public's health, safety and welfare, a permit is required for constructing anything in a City-owned right of way or easement.
Permits are reviewed and approved by Civil Inspections typically within 10 working days of receipt of the application and state the conditions and requirements for activities to take place. In some cases, an engineer's cost estimate may also be required.
The Development Services Center (DSC) generally covers right of way permits pertaining to new subdivisions, site construction and larger projects requiring approved plans for activities.
Types of Activities
Activities in a right of way that require a permit may include, but are not limited to:
- Installation of utilities (ex. cable, gas, power, telephone)
- Installation of storm drain piping, which also requires plan approval
- Open cutting of a roadway or sidewalk for repair or installation of utilities
- Any blocking of a lane of traffic or a sidewalk for which a traffic and pedestrian control plan is required
- Any encroachment into the City right of way
- Logging activities
- Subcontractor's attachment
- Proof of Liability Insurance (COI)
- Certain bonding procedures may be required depending on the activities taking place under the permit
- Traffic control
Seasonal Restriction Policy and Variance Request for Oceanfront and Sandbridge Areas
In an effort to safely and effectively move vehicles and pedestrians through the oceanfront and Sandbridge areas during the summer months, the Department of Public Works has developed a Seasonal Restriction Policy and Variance Request procedure for construction activity impacting the right-of-way.
Between May 1 and September 30, construction activity that involves sidewalk and/or lane closures is not permitted in the oceanfront or Sandbridge areas. The Department of Public Works, Traffic Engineering division’s Roadway Work Hours lists specific roadways impacted by this policy as well as other roadways with construction activity restrictions.
In specific cases, the Director of Public Works may authorize and approve variances or waivers from strict application of the seasonal restriction policy where appropriate and justifiable to the individual situation. For consideration, the applicant must submit the variance request with complete documentation and justifiable support in accordance with the instructions provided on the form.
Where to Get a Permit
2875 Sabre St., Suite 500
- Utility/Right of Way Permit Application
- Daily Notification Form
- Right of Way Subcontractor’s Attachment
- Virginia Beach Open Cut Letter
- Test Hole Addendum
- Copy of Pavement June 2020 Design Standards Manual
- Residential Dumpster Portable Storage Containers
- Commercial Dumpsters Requirements
- Seasonal Restriction Variance Request
- Roadway Work Hours
- Curb Cuts Design Standards Manual, June 2020